Monday, November 19, 2012

Gluten and Dairy Free "Cream of Mushroom Soup"

Prior to my days of gluten and dairy free living, cream of mushroom soup was a staple in my cupboard.  For a year now I have been wondering and working on this recipe to perfect the tasty, multi-use goodness of this household staple....well I DID IT!  This soup had so much flavor that I ate a whole bowl straight from the pot.  Used it in my Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving and it was PERFECT.  Flavors were on point, texture was creamy and it held up well to baking...and freezing (I totally froze the extra for later).


1 box of your favorite stock (I used organic beef broth)
3 pints of fresh mushrooms, sliced, I used Button and Portabella, but whatever would work
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large garlic 
1 tbs coconut oil
salt
pepper
1 Cup Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
3-5 TBS Potato Starch

2 additional cups Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk (Coconut Would work)

In a large stockpot, melt coconut oil.  Add onion, garlic and celery.  Sweat for a minute.  Add mushrooms, cook down for about 15 minutes on medium heat.  Add stock and salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until stock has taken on the flavor of the mushrooms.

In a blender bottle, add 1 cup Almond Milk and 3-5 TBS potato starch (the more you add the thicker it will be).  Shake the crap outta it, then slowly pour it into the stock mixture, stirring constantly.  It will almost instantly thicken.  If you would like it thicker, like a condensed soup, use more of the starch, you can thin it to be a soup by adding additional almond milk.

I used this very recipe, slightly thinned with about an extra 1/2 cup of almond milk to make green bean casserole.  The flavor was the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD!  No joke!  This soup is AMAZING.

I froze some of the extra in pint containers for later use...in a condensed form so that I would have options to use in things like Tuna Noodle Casserole.




No comments:

Post a Comment